As far as shoulder exercises go, one of the most efficient yet highly underrated shoulder exercises is the side lateral dumbbell raise. Side lateral dumbbell raises are ideal because they require a light to medium weight, no spotter, and they’re very quickly performed, once you know how to safely and correctly perform them.
To help get you started, here’s a look at how they’re performed.
- Start off by choosing a set of moderately light dumbbells and grasping one in each hand, standing upright keeping your torso straight.
- Hold the dumbbells down at your sides with your palms facing each other.
- From here, making sure to keep your body perfectly straight and making sure not to move it in the slightest, slowly lift the dumbbells up and outwards to the side of your body, bending your elbow ever so slightly. Make sure not to swing your body to gain any momentum. If you do have to swing, the weight is too heavy, so go lighter.
- Continue to bring your arms upwards and outwards until your arms are completely parallel to the ground, and the dumbbells are now roughly level with your ears.
- Once the dumbbells are at the same height as your ears, hold for a second and contract the deltoids before slowly lowering the dumbbells back down to the starting position.
- Repeat for as many reps as required.