Looking to really bulk up this summer? If so, you’ll need to ensure that you hit the gym harder than you ever have before and yes, that also means working your legs too.
Ask any bodybuilder which is the most physically demanding body part to train, and they’ll all tell you that it is the legs. Training legs is vital as your legs are the base of your entire body. They hold your weight and they support you, so you need to ensure that they’re strong, and that they look pretty good too.
As far as leg exercises are concerned, one of the easiest and most beneficial exercises is the seated leg curl. This exercise is performed on a seated leg curl machine, and is ideal for really isolating the hamstrings.
How to perform leg curls exercise safely and effectively:
- Start off by sitting in the machine with your back positioned flat against the back support pad.
- Place the back of your lower leg just on the top of the padded lever, which should be a couple of inches below your calves. Make sure that the lap pad is securely fitted against your thighs that should be just above both of your knees.
- Point your toes dead ahead and grip the handles at the side for support. Extend your legs right out in front of you. This will now be your starting position.
- Now, whilst breathing out, flex your knees and try to pull the padded lever with your legs as far back as you can, getting it as close to the backs of your thighs as possible.
- Try to keep your body as still as possible, and hold in the contracted position for a second or two.
- Whilst slowly breathing in, return your legs to the extended starting position and repeat for the necessary required amount of repetitions.
- By the end of the exercise you should feel a slight tightness and light burning sensation running down the backs of your hamstrings.