When it comes to a big and muscular physique, it has to be said that one of the first things that people tend to notice is the size of a person’s arms. Now, people think that big arms are a result of big biceps built by dumbbell curl after dumbbell curl, when in actual fact, it’s the triceps that are responsible for the size of a person’s arms.
The triceps muscle is a large horseshoe shaped muscle that has three separate heads, and it is often a muscle that tends to get neglected.
One of the best exercises for building a set of large and powerful triceps are tricep dips, so let’s take a look at how to perform them safely and correctly.
In this example we’ll be looking at tricep dips being performed on a set of dipping bars.
- Start off by standing on a set of dipping bars, holding your entire body at arm’s length, with your arms almost entirely fully locked above the dipping bars.
- Next you need to take a deep breath, and then begin by slowly lowering your body downwards, ensuring that your elbows are as close to the side of your body as they can possibly be, whilst your body itself remains upright.
- Slowly lower yourself downwards as low as you possibly can, until your forearm and your upper arm form a 90 degree angle between each other.
- Next, breathe out, and lift your body back upwards, generating the power from your triceps until your body is back in the original starting position.
- Repeat this exercise for as many reps as required, making sure to concentrate on maintaining strict form throughout the exercise, and really making sure to squeeze the triceps on each repetition..
- Always make sure to keep your elbows tucked as close to your side as possible, as this really helps to isolate the triceps muscle, making the exercise as effective as possible.