If we had the choice, many of us would have a set of lean and muscular arms that looked great in a tight t-shirt or tank top that drove people mad with jealousy when they saw them. In order to make that dream a reality, we’ll need to put the hard work in at the gym, which is certainly no easy feat.
To really help add size and mass to the arms, a solid arm routine must be followed and this routine simply must include plenty of triceps work. The triceps is a large three headed horseshoe shaped muscle that is responsible for giving our arms their size and generating much of their power.
The bigger the triceps, the bigger the arms look.
One of the best exercises for really isolating all three heads of the triceps muscle is a cable exercise known as overhead cable extensions.
It’s a fantastic exercise and if performed right with strict form, it can really give the triceps a heck of a workout.
How To Do Overhead Cable Triceps Extensions:
- Stand in front of a cable pulley based machine and attach a rope.
- Take the rope firmly in both hands using a neutral grip so that both palms face each other, and fully extend your arms so that your hands are now directly above your head.
- Both of your arms should now be perpendicular to the ground, your elbows should be in very close to your head, and the tops of your hands should now be facing up towards the ceiling.
- Slowly bring the rope down and lower it behind your head, making sure to keep your upper arms perfectly still. As you perform this part of the exercise, make sure you take a deep breath in. Once the triceps are fully stretched hold for a second or two.
- Next, slowly return to the starting position in exactly the same slow and controlled manner as before by flexing your triceps and exhaling as you do so.
- Repeat for as many repetitions as required.
Here is a video showing how to do the overhead cable extension (using a bar, not a rope)